Monday, July 28, 2008

French Coconut Pie


I didn't have any plans to make pie this weekend, that was until my husband and I watched The Waitress. It was an adorable and quirky romantic comedy. I highly recommend it. The only problem is that after you finish the movie, you will be craving pie! My husband really likes coconut pie, so that was his pick. This recipe was very easy and I already had all the ingredients on hand. This recipe uses a pre-made pie crust. I use Wholly Wholesome Pie crusts sold at Whole Foods. I keep them in the freezer for pie baking emergencies! These crusts taste homemade and they have no artificial ingredients or preservatives. This recipe was a hit at our house. Minus the baking time, it only took about 10 minutes to throw this together. The filling of the pie was a delicious coconut custard. The top browned leaving a creme brulee like crust. I only cooked mine for the minimum 45 minutes and it got a little browner than I would have liked. So, I recommend checking this pie often to ensure it doesn't get to done. I served this with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.

French Coconut Pie
Source: The Lady and Son's Savannah Country Cookbook

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 (3 1/2–ounce) can shredded sweetened coconut (about 1 cup)-I use organic superfine
1 cup milk
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell-I used a Wholly Wholesome Pie Crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, flour, sugar, coconut, and milk. Pour into pie shell. Bake until firm, about 45 to 60 minutes.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum! I'll have to check out that pie crust brand at Whole Foods next time I stop in! So thanks for the rec!

Kira said...

I love The Waitress, and I'm still in a pie-baking mood from watching it a couple of weeks ago! This looks like a great pie.